some weekend artsiness...



First Name: Gabi
Age: 24
Works in: Creative Arts/Graphic Design
Natural since: 2005 (via a big chop)
On natural hair: I love it! It compliments my style L says~Mine too!


I was born and raised in the UK so I'm a native. I live behind Leavesden Studios where they film Harry Potter (and some of the James Bond movies) - I've never actually read any of the books or seen the movies but you can see a lot of the big buildings when you drive past which is pretty cool.

On natural hair and work...
I think recently, the natural hair scene has gotten bigger over here. The spots where I tend to hang out attract a lot of women with natural hair which I really like. I work as a graphic designer for ITN which is a news station and I've only recently started wearing natural hair and I was pretty scared about taking out my straight braids. Most of the women in my department have relaxed hair and I guess because when it comes to the news you don't usually see a lot of news readers of colour rocking frohawks and dreads! L says~I had never thought of this and this is so true! I am in the news industry, and I know of many Black women who automatically get that weave or that relaxer if their aim is to do TV reporting. One of the reasons I haven't been interested in TV reporting is my hair. It's just not gonna fly. I got the usual 'omg did you cut your hair/I didn't recognise you!' comments and just smiled politely, lol.

Comments